History channel dating
Barry as we now see it only really began to grow with the building of the docks in 1884.
However, people had been living in this part of Wales long before that, as Bronze Age burial mounds, found at Cold Knap and Friars Point, prove.
Kenfig and its surrounding area is steeped in history from prehistoric times through to having strong Roman and Viking influences on a more modern historical timescale.
The surrounding neighbourhoods of Kenfig grew up from the incursion of sand that eventually engulfed the city of Kenfig.
The ancient city of Kenfig's real history probably begins around the time of the Normans with the building of Kenfig Castle in the 12th century. From The Buried City of Kenfig, Kenfig Castle, and Kenfig Pool, through to the Geological Make-up of Kenfig and its surrounding areas in general.
The Romilly family bought the estate and was responsible for new building but Barry was still only a village in the 1860s and Barry Island was still referred to as a place that abounded with rabbits!
Things, however, were to change dramatically, and Barry and Cadoxton were to develop in leaps and bounds.
The ever-growing coal trade was far outstripping the facilities at Cardiff Docks and so a group of colliery owners formed the Barry Railway Company and chose to build the dock at Barry.
The port became active again, with local ships trading as far afield as France.
The 19th Century brought enormous changes to South Wales with the extensive mining of coal and iron in the valleys to the north of the vale.